Recipe by Linda's Busy Kitchen
These DELICIOUS cookies will have you running back for more! Great anytime, but especially good around the holidays. Make for your cookie trays, or to give to as a gift. Great for pot lucks and anytime you need to bring something sweet for an event. Good for Bake Sales too! Everybody loved em!!! Prep time includes unwrapping caramels. The cooking time is per sheet of cookies.
Top Review by m.klitzke
These taste wonderful however I had a few issues. I used regular oats by mistake so I ended up having to add more flour. Then while they were in the oven some of the carmels slid off the cookies. I had to let them sit on the cookie sheet for several minutes to cool so that the carmel would not drop thru the cooling rack. I'll have to try again with quick cooking oats to see if it solves my problems. They are very tasty.
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup butter flavor shortening
- 1 1⁄4 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups nuts, chopped
- 3 dozen caramels, unwrapped (room temperature)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Unwrap caramels.
- Combine oats, flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a medium bowl, and set aside.
- Combine shortening, brown sugar, egg, milk, and vanilla in large bowl, and beat at medium speed until creamy.
- Stir in flour mixture until just blended.
- Stir in nuts.
- Drop by rounded tablespoon onto baking sheet 2" apart.
- Place a caramel in the center of each (do not press down).
- Bake 10-12 minutes, or until light brown around edges, and caramel is completely melted.
- Transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- Store in sealed container.