Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
A fancy little spin on the "usual" sausage balls - sounds divine, although I think I would probably skip the puff pastry wrapping unless it were a really special occasion. Source: Executive chef Blythe Beck, Hector's on Henderson Published in The Dallas Morning News on November 29, 2006
- 2 lbs bulk pork sausage (half mild and half spicy)
- 1⁄2 lb softened cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup snipped chives (or substitute green onions)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 3 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 lb frozen puff pastry, thawed
- scallion (to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- In large bowl, combine pork sausage, cream cheese, chives, cayenne, salt, pepper and lemon juice. Fold bread crumbs into meat-cheese mixture until fully combined. Roll mixture into 1-inch balls.
- Wrap a 1 ½ -inch square of puff pastry around each ball, stretching to cover. Pinch seams to seal. Place seam-side down on greased cookie sheet and bake at 400 F for 10 minutes. Serve garnished with chopped or julienned scallions. Makes about 24 small balls.
- To freeze: Freeze unbaked balls. Bake them (still frozen) at 375 F for about 17 to 20 minutes, or until browned.