Recipe by mydesigirl
We don't eat a lot of rice but this recipe is one of the exceptions. I serve this with jalapeno corn bread.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb turkey breakfast sausage
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery & leaves, chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add sausage; cook about 10 minutes or until no longer pink, stirring occasionally to break up sausage.
- Add onions, celery, bell pepper, thyme and cayenne.
- Cook about 5 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Add rice; stir and cook about 1 minute.
- Add broth and tomatoes; bring to a simmer and cook, covered, over low heat about 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in green onions.