Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
While visiting a friend recently she made this as a side dish with chicken. It was so good I didn't know whether to use a fork or a spoon. She gave me the recipe, So easy, now I can make it for my family.
- 1 lb spicy breakfast sausage
- 1⁄2 cup long grain rice
- 1 (14 ounce) canof clear chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon instant minced onion
- Brown the sausage making a small crumble mixture in a skillet until cooked through.
- Stir in the broth, rice and minced onion.
- Cover and simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until the rice is tender. Most of the broth should be absorbed. Make sure to turn the heat off and let it stand covered for at least 5 minutes!
This was delicious!! Although I did use 4 cheese sausage. And used 1 cup uncooked wild rice and 1-1/2 cups chicken broth. I debated whether or not to drain all the grease from the sausage, so I left SOME of it in thinking it would give it a little more flavor and make it saucy. Which did leave a perfect texture and great flavor (imo)!! But if your looking for a drier rice, drain ALL the fat. My whole family loved it!
This was so good! My husband and kids loved it. I plan on making this for a side dish for Thanksgiving.
I give the simplicity of the recipe 5 stars, but need to knock the final rating down to 4 stars based on how my dish turned out. Is it suppose to be a saucy/gooey version of dirty rice? The ones I've had in restaurants were much drier. I like everything about this recipe - the easiness, the flavor - all except for the gooey texture. How do I get around that?