Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
I came up with this recipe after ditching the boxed mixes. This is what I came up with after studying one of my favorite pre-packaged mixes.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 -2 celery rib, diced
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 1⁄2 cups parboil cooked rice
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth or 3 cups water
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hickory smoke salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or saucepan. Add the onion, pepper, and celery; sauté until softened, about 5 to 8 minutes. Add the meat and cook until no longer pink. Stir in the rice and cook 5 minutes.
- Add the broth and remaining ingredients; stir to combine. Cover reduce heat and simmer 20 to 25 minutes or until the rice is tender.