Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Hearty Dish! Made with sausage bits. My family loves this along with a vegetable or fruit. The recipe is for mild sausage but for those liking heat, hot sausage and a few red pepper flakes may be used. Microwaved leftovers can be enjoyed.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb pork sausage (bulk)
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked rice
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- black pepper
- Saute onion and celery in olive oil and set aside.
- Brown pork sausage, drain and crumble.
- In a separate large saucepan with lid, combine onion, celery, sausage, carrot, rice, chicken broth, water, garlic powder, salt and black pepper.
- Simmer on very low heat covered for approximately 30 to 40 minutes until rice is done. Stir occasionally to prevent rice from sticking on bottom.
Made this tonight as a side dish for dinner. I used a mixture of hot and mild sausage. Everyone in the family really enjoyed this recipe and said they wouldn't mind having it again. Getting six people to agree is pretty amazing. Thanks for posting this recipe Seasoned Cook. Made and reviewed for the 38th AUS/NZ Recipe Swap.
Tried this for tonight's supper. It was very tasty and very easy. Didn't have celery or carrots, so substituted yellow and red pepper. Served buttered lima beans with it. Yummy, comfort food meal.