Recipe by Smiling in Texas
This is one of my husband's favorite dishes that his Maw-Maw makes. I finally got the recipe, and it is too good not to share.
- 1 lb chicken giblets (the "package" found inside your fowl, any fowl giblets may be used)
- 2 cups white rice, uncooked
- 1⁄2 lb bulk pork sausage
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup celery
- 1⁄2 cup parsley
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup scallion top, chopped
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Put giblets (and neck) into a medium sauce pan and cover with water. Add salt and boil covered until tender.
- Remove giblets and set aside.
- Add enough water to the broth from cooking the giblets until you have 4 cups total. Add your rice, and cook until done.
- When rice is half done (about 10 minutes), begin to brown sausage until fat starts to render out - add vegetables and herbs.
- Cook vegetables with sausage until tender.
- Stir in cooked rice gently until combined, and season to taste.