Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another winner from the Skinnytaste website. Here's a tasty and healthier twist on a Cajun classic, the addition of shrimp turns this into a fabulous main dish. I'd like to think of this as a Cajun shrimp fried rice. Dirty rice is a classic Cajun dish made "dirty" by cooking the rice with minced livers or gizzards. I created a healthier version using brown rice and lean ground beef in place of the chicken livers that normally make dirty rice "dirty". But don't worry, this healthier version does not skimp on flavor! It has plenty of spices and a bit of kick, you can adjust the heat to your taste but don't be shy with the cayenne if you can handle it!
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown rice, uncooked
- 1 chicken bouillon cube (Knorr)
- 2 bay leaves, divided
- 1⁄8 cayenne, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne, divided
- 1⁄8 paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄8 thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 celery, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 lb 96% lean ground beef
- salt and fresh pepper, to taste
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 scallions, chopped
- Cook brown rice according to package directions in water along with a chicken bouillon, 1 bay leaf and 1/4 tsp salt and 1/8 each of salt, cayenne, paprika and thyme.
- When the rice is almost done cooking, heat a large heavy saucepan on medium-low heat. Add the oil, onions, green pepper, celery, bay leaf and garlic. Sauté on medium-low heat until soft, about 5 minutes. Add beef, salt, black pepper, remaining paprika, thyme and cayenne pepper. Sauté until browned, about 10-15 minutes; add shrimp, cover and cook 5 more minutes.
- When the rice is done, toss with beef and shrimp and combine well. Top with scallions and serve.
Mixed reviews, my cousin and I loved this (we had seconds and finished it off), husband didnt particularly like it, but wasnt specific on why. All I can say, well, WE liked it, made as per recipe, for me this would be a make again. Oh, one thing, I did add crushed tomatoes .. hope you'll forgive me, I just felt I would enjoy tomatoes in this .... really good, Jan, thank you, made for ZWT9, Family Picks, Pink Panthers
Basically, I love the recipe. The single reason that I'm giving 4 star's instead of 5 is that, for my taste, the spicing needs to be at the very least doubled it not tripled. It's very mild and I really loved it after a drizzle of Frank's Red Hot sauce. Having said that I have never tried Dirty Rice before and this could be the quintessential recipe and I'm way off base. I will make it again with the spice elevated. It's filling, really tasty and I loved the shrimp addition. Thanks so much Jan :D. Made for ZWT 9.