Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I make trifles all the time for large gatherings like my DD soccer team parties. The kids (and adults)always gobble it down. There's so many variations but this is a fun way to welcome in the Spring season or for an April's Fool Dessert.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) packageduncan hines moist deluxe devil's food cake mix (Bake according to package directions)
- 3 eggs (or whatever the package calls for)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or whatever the package calls for)
- 1⁄3 cup water (or whatever the package calls for)
- 4 (3 1/8 ounce) packages instant chocolate pudding mix
- 8 cups milk (for pudding)
- 1 (16 ounce) container Cool Whip (defrosted)
- 1 (8 ounce) package gummy worms (for topping)
- Bake cake mix according to directions on box for 9x13 pan and cool.
- I use a huge bowl so I do 2 sets of layers.
- Layer 1 Once the cake is cooled cut into squares (makes it easier to crumble) and start to crumble it for you first layer. Note: Only for this first layer of cake, press into the bottom of the bowl.
- Layer 2 Mix chocolate pudding according to package directions (don't let it set because it can just be poured over the cake layer easier).
- Layer 3 Cool Whip (spread on with spatula to cover pudding).
- Repeat layer process one more time. Then top it with an extra layer of dirt( crumbled cake) for the gummy worms to sit on.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Top with Gummy Worms just before serving.
- You can also make these in little individual cups for a kid party. Just do 1 layer of each and 1 extra layer of dirt (cake) Top with 1 or 2 gummy worms.
- Note: Prep and Cooking Time do not include cooling time for cake or setting time in the refrigerator.
Very simple to make and delicious too! My father-in-law mentioned that you could basically use any kind of pudding or cake. It's a very versatile recipe. I think if I make it again, I will add crushed oreos for the last layer.
Very cute!! Halloween is coming up this year, this would be perfect for my family's Halloween treat =)
Wonderful... i fixed this for an informal theatre banquet and I had no leftovers.