- 3 cups flour, minus 3 tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F Place the rack in the center position. Generously grease a 12-cup standard muffin pan.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cardamon into a mixing bowl.
- In another bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Scrape the bowl down half way through. Mix in the eggs.
- Add the dry ingredients alternately with the milk in two additions, mixing gently by hand to incorporate all the flour. The batter will be on the stiff side, but airy. Don’t over mix or beat the batter as this will make the muffins tough.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, without smoothing the tops.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. As soon as the muffins are cool enough to handle, turn them out onto a wire rack.
- Add the melted butter to a bowl. In another bowl, mix the sugar and cinnamon.
- Dip the muffins (top, sides and bottom) in the butter, using a pastry brush -if necessary- to cover areas not buttered by dipping. Immediately roll the muffins in the cinnamon sugar mixture. Serve warm or at room temperature.