Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Another staple of Haitian cooking, this is from islandflave.com. They ususally serve this with any meat or chicken dish. Have tasted this with their "Griots" #148369. Did not include the cooking time for the beans which is approximatley 2 hours.
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 1 cup dried kidney beans
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup bacon, cut into small cubes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Place beans in medium-sized pot with 4 cups of water & cook for 2 hours or until tender.
- Drain the beans BUT KEEP THE WATER which will be used to cook rice.
- In the same pan cook bacon until crisp, if needed add oil.
- Add onion, garlic and pepper and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add the bacon along with salt & pepper.
- Add the water used to cook the beans and bring to a boil.
- Add rice and cook for 20-25 minutes.
liked the bacon flavour.- Yum! Modification- i had no idea what kind of pepper that was so i subbed red and green with a few splashes tobasco- i will be honest, I never measured a thing but it was still nice.