Recipe by Manami
Another staple of Haitian cooking, this is from islandflave.com. They ususally serve this with any meat or chicken dish. Have tasted this with their "Griots" #148369. Did not include the cooking time for the beans which is approximatley 2 hours.
Top Review by necowsgomoo
liked the bacon flavour.- Yum! Modification- i had no idea what kind of pepper that was so i subbed red and green with a few splashes tobasco- i will be honest, I never measured a thing but it was still nice.
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 1 cup dried kidney beans
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup bacon, cut into small cubes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Place beans in medium-sized pot with 4 cups of water & cook for 2 hours or until tender.
- Drain the beans BUT KEEP THE WATER which will be used to cook rice.
- In the same pan cook bacon until crisp, if needed add oil.
- Add onion, garlic and pepper and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add the bacon along with salt & pepper.
- Add the water used to cook the beans and bring to a boil.
- Add rice and cook for 20-25 minutes.