Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Good, sticky Greek pastry we have had for years.
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup flour (it depends)
- 1 cup honey, boiled
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Beat egg yolks and egg.
- Add sugar and beat until it dissolves.
- Blend in enough flour to absorb the liquid and form.
- a nice dough.
- Amount of flour needed is variable.
- Knead dough well and divide into 5 sections.
- Roll each section out as for a pie crust.
- With a pastry wheel,cut each of the 5 sections into long strips, 2-inch wide strips.
- Drop each strip, one at a time, into hot deep fat.
- Fat shouldn't be so hot that it will turn the pastry dark.
- A golden color is the desired shade.
- With 2 forks and as the strip is frying, turn it over so.
- while it is lightly browned, it is in the form of a roll.
- When they are dried, dip into boiled honey.
- Place on wax paper and sprinkle with chopped nuts.