Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is simply the BEST of the BEST!! The recipe comes from Ernesto's Restaurant in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. If you find a better recipe, I sure would like to know about it.
- 12 roma tomatoes, whole
- 3 teaspoons oregano (Mexican if you have it)
- 10 garlic cloves
- 5 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds (can substitute ground)
- 2 teaspoons marjoram
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 6 large peppercorns
- 3 teaspoons peppercorns, small
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄4 cup onion
- 4 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 8 pieces chicken
- 8 corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
- 2 avocados
- 4 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Boil tomatoes 10 minutes.
- Place tomatoes and next 8 ingredients in blender and blend for 4 minutes.
- Saute onion in oil and add blender contents by pouring through a mesh strainer.
- Add one quart of water to strainer and swirl.
- Put leftover ingredients from strainer in 1/2 cup of water, blend well and strain into pot.
- Add one more quart of water.
- Add chicken bouillon and chicken pieces and boil until chicken is cooked.
- Fry tortilla strips in oil until crispy.
- Heat 8-10 oz. of stock for each serving. Place one piece of chicken in stock to heat and then debone.
- Fill bowl with a handful of chips, 3-4 avocado slices, meat of one piece of chicken, cover with mozzarella cheese.
- Pour boiling broth over ingredients in bowl and serve.
This is simply the best tortilla soup I've ever had. If I had tortilla soup like this as a kid, I'd have loved Tortilla soup all my life.
Excellent soup, and I have had the original. The "6 large peppercorns" are actually allspice.