I have always disliked baked beans, but I was served and couldn't stop eating these. A few years later I found out it was a recipe from Dinosaur Barbecue, a famous restaurant based in Rochester, NY. I searched the internet for a version of the recipe not using Dinosaur BBQ's "Mutha Sauce," and doubled the amount of Italian sausage to make them really meaty. I cooked this in a cast-iron dutch oven and brought it camping the next day. It was amazing reheated and great with potatoes baked in the fire. It's almost like chili and very filling. NOTE: I'm not sure about the serving amount. This really makes plenty, and everyone ate several big helpings.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (28 ounce) cans baked beans (I used Bush's Homestyle. Choose a less-sweet variety.)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (or more, if you love garlic)
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (I accidentally only put 1 in when I made this, still loved it)
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1Heat olive oil to medium-high in a large saucepan, and cook onion and pepper until soft, adding salt and pepper.
- 2When softened, add garlic and cook another minute.
- 3Add sausage, crumbling it into small pieces while it cooks.
- 4Drain some of the liquid from the beans- make it about the same level in the can as the beans themselves. Mix into the sausage/veggies.
- 5Turn the heat down to medium-low and add remaining ingredients. Cook for 5-7 minutes.
- 6Serve immediately, or let cool and reheat. We loved this the next day, as the flavors had a chance to really mix.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dinosaur BBQ Style Baked Beans
Serving Size: 1 (133 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 290.7
- Calories from Fat 118
- Total Fat 13.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 21.5 mg
- Sodium 971.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 13.0 g
- Protein 13.8 g