Recipe by iris5555
I usually make a 1/2 recipe of this great barbeque sauce. It's from the Dinosaur BBQ cookbook.
Top Review by runnerb0y
awesome recipe. I usually double it and give out bottles to friends at bbq's. Makes a great marinade for chicken as well. 2 things i do differently: -I usually cook the onions and peppers for 10-15 minutes and use a potato masher to basically puree them. -Add some J.D to it for an extra kick.
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1⁄2 cup minced green pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups ketchup (preferably Heinz)
- 1 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup cayenne pepper sauce
- 1⁄4 cup spicy brown mustard
- 3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour the oil into a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- After oil has heated, add the onions, green peppers, and jalapenos and stir.
- Add a pinch of sa1t and pepper and cook until vegetables are soft and onions are golden.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Add remaining ingredients except the Liquid Smoke.
- Bring to a boil, then lower the heat so the sauce simmers.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat, add the Liquid Smoke and let the sauce cool.
- Pour it into a container, cover, and store in the fridge until ready to use.