Recipe by Sandyg61
From the Dinosaur BBQ cookbook. I haven't made the sauce from scratch since a store near my house sells it in bottles in the bbq sauce section but the chicen is very good. Cooking time does not include cooling time for the marinade or marinating time for the chicken.
Top Review by jrjill
I have the cookbook and have made the marinade from scratch and it is awesome. I love this recipe becuase you marinade the chicken overnight and when you get home from work you just slice up the onion put the chicken on top and pop it in the oven.
Marinade (use 1 cup for chicken)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 cups fresh orange juice
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 8 pieces chicken
- 1 large onion, sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the marinade:.
- Mix the garlic, onions, orange and lime juices in a bowl.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan until just smoking.
- Cover your arms and put on potholder mitts. Slide the contents of the bowl into the hot oil – be very careful because the liquid will spatter.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Season the marinade with the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour everything into a blender or food processor and pulse 3 times to combine. Pour into a plastic container and cool to room temp; then cover and refrigerate. Will keep for up to 2 weeks.
- To make the chicken:.
- Spread the chicken out in a baking dish and pour the marinade over it. Rub some of the marinade under the skin.
- Marinate the chicken for 4 hours or overnight in the fridge.
- Turn the oven onto 375.
- Scatter the onion over the bottom of a roasting pan, and put the chicken on top, skin side up.
- Pour the remaining marinade over the chicken and roast for 1 hour and 15 minutes, til the chicken is golden and cooked through.
- Serve the chicken with pan juices and sprinkle with parsley to garnish. If desired, squeeze lime wedges over chicken.