Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
I created this recipe for my son, who was once a "challenging" eater who would eat anything in a waffle. I was amazed to find that it was, actually, pretty darn good. Whole grain, great protein, fiber and low sugar too! There is lots of room for variation as well. Let me know what you try!
- 1 3⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 zucchini, grated
- 4 slices deli turkey, cut into pieces
- marinara sauce, for dipping
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Incorporate eggs, milk and butter.
- Mix in meat, cheese and zucchini.
- Cook in waffle iron according to directions.
- Cut into strips and enjoy dipping into marinara.