Prep 1 hr
Cook 12 mins
I wanted something that tasted like regular dinner rolls. My DH says this is the closest he's had so far.
- 3⁄4 cup brown rice flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg, beaten until foamy
- 1 1⁄4 cups brown rice flour
- Heat milk, water and butter in microwave until butter is mostly melted (do not boil). Meanwhile, combine 3/4 cup of brown rice flour with xanthan gum, sugar, yeast and salt.
- Pour warm liquid into flour mixture. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes with a hand mixer.
- Add 1/4 cup flour and egg and beat on high 2 minutes. Stir in enough additional flour (1/2 to 1 cup) to make a sticky dough (sticky cookie dough).
- Cover & let rise in a warm place 15 minutes or doubled in size. Use a large cookie scoop to drop rolls on a greased cookie sheet. Allow to double in size. For hamburger buns, use a little more dough and flatten slightly with the palm of your hand. Bake 350* 10-12 minutes until golden brown. Brush with butter while hot. Makes 8 dinner rolls or 3 full hamburger buns (6 hamburger bun halves).
These were terrible and a complete waste of good flour! One of my sons said they tasted "toxic." They went straight in the garbage. Thumbs down from all five family members. Every other gluten-free recipe I've tried has been much better than this. I think the problem is that there is too much brown rice flour in this one.