1/3 Photos of Dinner Rolls
4 hrs 45 mins
2 hrs 10 mins
2 hrs 35 mins
Doreen Randal's Note:
these seem long, but it is very precise and easy to follow.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1For the glaze:- 1 egg yolk 1 Tbsp water Put the milk into a saucepan and bring just to the boil.
- 2Pour 4 Tbsp of the milk into a small bowl and let cool to lukewarm.
- 3Meanwhile cut the butter into pieces.
- 4Add the butter and sugar to the remaining milk in the pan, stirring occasionally, until butter is melted.
- 5Let cool to lukewarm.
- 6Sprinkle the yeast over the 4 Tbsp milk and let stand, stirring once, until dissolved, about 5 minutes.
- 7In a large bowl, beat eggs just until mixed.
- 8Add the cooled sweetened milk, salt and dissolved yeast. Stir in half of the flour and mix well with your hand.
- 9Add the remaining flour, 2 ozs at a time, mixing well after each additions.
- 10Keep adding flour until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl in a ball.
- 11It should be soft and slightly sticky.
- 12Turn the dough onto a floured work surface. Sprinkle the dough and your hands with flour, and begin to knead by holding the dough with one hand and pushing it away from you with the other.
- 13Continue to knead by peeling the dough away from the surface. Give the dough a quarter turn, and knead until it is very smooth, elastic and forms a ball, 5 - 7 minutes.
- 14If the dough sticks while kneading, flour the work surface. Wash the large bowl and brush it with melted butter.
- 15Put the kneaded dough in the bowl, and flip it so the surface is lightly buttered.
- 16Cover the bowl with a damp tea towel and let the dough rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 - 1 1/2 hours.
- 17To Shape and Bake the Rolls:- Brush 2 baking sheets with melted butter.
- 18Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead with your hand just to knock out the air, 15 - 20 seconds.
- 19Cover the dough, and let it rest, about 5 minutes.
- 20Cut the dough in half.
- 21With your hands, roll 1 piece of the dough into a cylinder about 2 inches in diameter.
- 22Cut the cylinder into 8 equal pieces.
- 23Repeat to divide the remaining dough.
- 24To shape round rolls, cup a piece of dough under the palm of your hand, and roll the dough in a circular motion so it forms a smooth ball.
- 25Arrange 8 rolls on each baking sheet. Cover with a dry tea towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 30 minutes.
- 26Heat the oven to 425 F.
- 27Make the glaze by beating the egg yolk with the water until frothy.
- 28Brush the rolls with glaze, then bake them in the oven until golden brown, 15 - 18 minutes.
- 29Turn the rolls over and tap the bottoms with your knuckles.
- 30They should sound hollow when tapped.
- 31******** Cheers, Doreen Doreen Randal, Wanganui.
- 32New Zealand.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dinner Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (988 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 175.1
- Calories from Fat 39
- Total Fat 4.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 36.1 mg
- Sodium 308.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 5.0 g