Prep 3 hrs 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
My sister in-law gave it to me. She learned it from her mother while keeping house for people in the Philipines.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 eggs
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- add shortening to milk and heat in microwave oven to 115 degrees.
- pour into bowl and add sugar, eggs, and yeast.
- mix in first cup flour and salt.
- keep adding flour while mixing until the dough doesn't stick to your hands but does stick to itself.
- separate into either 1 pound loaves or smaller rolls.
- makes 3 loaves or 36 rolls.
- let raise for about 3 hours in a warm covered place.
- put into oven at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes for a roll or 25-30 minutes for a loaf.
- It will be done when you thump the bottom and it's hollow sounding and it's brown on top.
I read the great ratings this recipe received and it is obvious that the taters were much more experienced than I was. What I wound up with was a very tasty baking soda biscuit.Not sure where I went wrong but found directions a tad vague toward the end
excellent made some today