Recipe by twissis
There's nothing better than fresh asparagus & this is a very tasty way to serve it & impress for a company meal w/a chicken breast & green salad. Sadly fresh asparagus is rarely available here in Iceland & very expensive when I find it, so I don't fix this often like I did in the US. It can be prepared ahead, but don't refrigerate (read note below).
Top Review by Andi of Longmeadow Farm
Party worthy and beyond! Since we have an overabundance of asparagus (Sorry for me!) I tagged this wonderful asparagus treat. Beyond comfort food for us! Our whole family proclaimed this to be made at least once a week here on the farm. Didn't have croutons, so I crushed up some Ritz crackers to add to top. I also added some crushed garlic and minced onion to the cream cheese prior to softening it up. (I was using the garlic and onion for another recipe, so just thought I would throw that in too) I can't tell you how much we loved this recipe. All measurements worked well for us, so other then my few additions, didn't change a thing! Thanks, twissis. Didn't take a picture, as kiwidutch added a beautiful ones!
- 2 lbs fresh asparagus
- 6 hard-boiled eggs (sliced)
- 6 slices bacon (sliced crosswise & crisped)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon mccormick lemon-pepper seasoning
- 6 tablespoons crushed croutons (cheese flavored)
- chopped fresh chives (to garnish, or parsley)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash asparagus well & trim stem-ends so spears are 8" long. Parboil spears till just barely fork-tender, but still fairly crisp. Quickly drain & cover w/cold water to stop cooking process. Drain again when cool & set aside.
- Cut bacon slices crosswise, fry till crisp & drain well on paper towel.
- Slice ea egg crosswise into 6 slices.
- To assemble, pat asparagus spears dry w/paper towel & place equally in 6 groups in a 9"x13" baking dish. Top ea group w/1 sliced egg + equal amts of the crisped bacon pieces along their length & set aside.
- Microwave cream cheese in sml dish to soften & warm slightly. Set aside.
- Combine butter & flour over med-low heat to make a roux & gradually add milk. Use the flat a spatula to eliminate any lumps as you go.
- Do not overcook sauce. When milk has been added & the sauce is smooth & thickening, remove from heat & incorporate the softened cream cheese & lemon pepper seasoning salt.
- Spoon cream sauce over ea asparagus group, "dust" w/1 tbsp crushed croutons + sprinkle w/fresh chives or parsley.
- Bake in hot oven (400F) just till bubbling & serve immediately. (Can also microwave till heated through, but do not refrigerate as this will lengthen the cooking time & potentially cause the sauce to separate).
- NOTES: Sliced fresh mushrooms also work well as an addition -- For a 1-dish meal w/only a salad on the side, use this combo to stuff a well-pounded chicken breast & add mushrooms on top as a finishing touch.