1/2 Photos of Dinner Party Worthy Fresh Asparagus
There's nothing better than fresh asparagus & this is a very tasty way to serve it & impress for a company meal w/a chicken breast & green salad. Sadly fresh asparagus is rarely available here in Iceland & very expensive when I find it, so I don't fix this often like I did in the US. It can be prepared ahead, but don't refrigerate (read note below).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs fresh asparagus
- 6 hard-boiled eggs (sliced)
- 6 slices bacon (sliced crosswise & crisped)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon mccormick lemon-pepper seasoning
- 6 tablespoons crushed croutons (cheese flavored)
- chopped fresh chives (to garnish, or parsley)
- 1Wash asparagus well & trim stem-ends so spears are 8" long. Parboil spears till just barely fork-tender, but still fairly crisp. Quickly drain & cover w/cold water to stop cooking process. Drain again when cool & set aside.
- 2Cut bacon slices crosswise, fry till crisp & drain well on paper towel.
- 3Slice ea egg crosswise into 6 slices.
- 4To assemble, pat asparagus spears dry w/paper towel & place equally in 6 groups in a 9"x13" baking dish. Top ea group w/1 sliced egg + equal amts of the crisped bacon pieces along their length & set aside.
- 5Microwave cream cheese in sml dish to soften & warm slightly. Set aside.
- 6Combine butter & flour over med-low heat to make a roux & gradually add milk. Use the flat a spatula to eliminate any lumps as you go.
- 7Do not overcook sauce. When milk has been added & the sauce is smooth & thickening, remove from heat & incorporate the softened cream cheese & lemon pepper seasoning salt.
- 8Spoon cream sauce over ea asparagus group, "dust" w/1 tbsp crushed croutons + sprinkle w/fresh chives or parsley.
- 9Bake in hot oven (400F) just till bubbling & serve immediately. (Can also microwave till heated through, but do not refrigerate as this will lengthen the cooking time & potentially cause the sauce to separate).
- 10NOTES: Sliced fresh mushrooms also work well as an addition -- For a 1-dish meal w/only a salad on the side, use this combo to stuff a well-pounded chicken breast & add mushrooms on top as a finishing touch.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dinner Party Worthy Fresh Asparagus
Serving Size: 1 (323 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 425.5
- Calories from Fat 285
- Total Fat 31.7 g
- Saturated Fat 15.0 g
- Cholesterol 274.7 mg
- Sodium 434.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 17.3 g