1/1 Photo of Dinner in a Squash Shell
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 10 mins
Jo Coburn's Note:
This is an old standy-by for fall. Whenever the acorn squash hit the market we would always ask Mom to make this. We never ate the squash part as kids but loved the meat and rice and sauce. Now, as an adult I get to eat my kids leftover squash shells. Fun meal...hope you enjoy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 medium acorn squash
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 1 tablespoon steak sauce (like A-1)
- 1/2 cup Minute Rice (uncooked)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2Bake halved and seeded acorn squash face down on a baking sheet for 30 minutes.
- 3While squash is cooking mix filling and put in refrigerator until squash is ready.
- 4Mix basting ingredients and set aside.
- 5When squash done cooking, fill with meat mixture, mounding extra on top.
- 6Cover with basting sauce.
- 7There should be plenty leftover.
- 8Return to oven for 40 minutes, basting with extra sauce every 10 minutes.
- 9I usually have extra filling which I cook seperately and extra sauce which I heat in a small pan for safety sake and serve on the side.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dinner in a Squash Shell
Serving Size: 1 (494 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 625.7
- Calories from Fat 223
- Total Fat 24.8 g
- Saturated Fat 9.4 g
- Cholesterol 164.8 mg
- Sodium 1019.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 38.2 g
- Protein 33.6 g