Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
This is so yummy, I tried this at my friend's house this Halloween, well needless to say it will be a tradition at our house.
- 1 medium pumpkin
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
- 1 (15 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked rice
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts
- Cut off the top of the pumpkin and thoroughly clean out pulp and seeds.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C) In a large skillet sauté onions in vegetable oil until tender.
- Add meat and brown.
- Drain drippings from skillet.
- Add soy sauce, mushrooms,brown sugar and soup.
- Simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cooked rice and water chestnuts.
- Spoon mixture into cleaned pumpkin shell.
- Replace pumpkin top and place entire pumpkin, with filling, on a baking sheet.
- Bake 1 hour or until inside meat of the pumpkin is tender.
- Put pumpkin on a plate.
- Remove pumpkin lid and serve meat.
- For your vegetable, scoop out pumpkin and serve.
As a first time dinner in a pumpkin maker, I thought this turned out well for my first try. Although I did make a few changes. First, I used a frozen mix of chopped onion, celary & peppers [[plus I added a few chopped green peppers]] I sauted those with the ground beef. I used a larger can of mushrooms. Before I added the meat mixture to the pumpkin, I coated the inside with a bit of pumpkin pie spice and some salt. I really enjoyed this, and I think I see a new Halloween tradition in my future.
SO yummy! I am making this again tomorrow for a friend who has a Halloween Party. It was perfect here, and will be there as well! :) I used fresh baby portabella mushrooms, sliced, and then didn't let it simmer on the stove. It did take 2 hrs to cook, but was well worth the wait! Thank you!
Such a fun dinner idea! Perfect even if people don't like pumpkin, since you really don't HAVE to eat the pumpkin (although I highly recommend it)!