Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 2 large potatoes, unpeeled,coarsely shredded (18 ounces total)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 (1 lb) can great northern bean, rinsed and drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can salt-free tomato sauce (or regular)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 ounces shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (1 cup)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Oil a 10-inch pie pan or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Arrange potatoes in bottom and sides of pan, forming a thick crust, or nest.
- Press potatoes firmly in place.
- Bake 20 minutes.
- While potatoes are baking, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are nicely browned, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in beans.
- When potatoes are finished baking, remove from oven.
- Spread bean mixture evenly into potato nest.
- Combine tomato sauce and spices and spoon evenly over bean mixture.
- Top with cheese.
- Return to oven and bake 10 minutes, until cheese is melted.
Went to the trouble of making my own sauce and using fresh herbs all to no avail. The dish was still bland and the potatoes, oh my, the potatoes. If you try this use russets. I only had red boiling potatoes so they turned out gummy, grey and ugly. Couldn't find the beans for the potatoes and onions.