Recipe by drhousespcatcher
Australian Dinkum Chili. Way way back, I posted this to my site. I have no clue where I got this from and if anyone knows let me know so I can credit it. I just plain liked the recipe and since I can barely access the site anymore since it is on its way out, I am posting it here to save it.
- 500 g walleroo bacon
- 2 tablespoons oil, vegetable
- 1 medium brown onion, chopped
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 kg kangaroo shanks, red, coarse chopped
- 500 g kangaroo shanks, gry, coarse chopped
- 500 g emu ham, ground
- 2 garlic cloves
- 31 1⁄2 g tasmanian light red chili peppers
- 31 1⁄2 g wooroorooka chilies
- 26 1⁄2 g mount isa dark red chili peppers
- 140 g oregano
- 1 g cumin (fluid measure)
- australian beer (740ml)
- 14 1⁄2 ounces canned tomatoes, whole, processed
- brown sugar (3 fluid drams)
Directions See How It's Made
- Notes several: First the computer threw fits with Kangaroo shanks therefore it is now Kangaroo Steaks, shanks. Second the last missing ingredient is: 1 boomrang.
- Next up:.
- This calls for one can of tomatoes, [41 ea] Now. It has been a while since I experimented with the American version of the can so I took my best guess. Note that measurement is American. IF you make this, add the tomatoes slowly to your consistency and figure you might need a lot less or a lot more. I will correct it as soon as I try it again. I am therefore leaving the Australian measurements intact.
- Now the directions:.
- Fry the bacon in a skillet over medium heat. Drain the strips on paper toweling and cut into 10cm dice and reserve.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, and green pepper and cook until the onions are translucent.
- Combine all the Kangaroo meat & Emu ham with the ground chile, garlic, oregano, and cumin. Add this meat-and-spice mixture to the pot. Break up any lumps with a fork and cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is evenly browned.
- Add the beer, tomatoes, and reserved bacon to the pot. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 1 1/2 hours. Wave a boomerang over the pot 14 times each hour from this point on. Stir for 3 minutes. Taste, adjust seasonings, and add more beer id desired. Simmer for 2 1/2 hours longer.
- Add the brown sugar and simmer for 15 minutes longer, vigorously waving the boomerang over the pot.