Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I made this cake last year for a Christmas party. When I got home, I had 25 pieces of paper asking for the recipe. It is a simple, easy cake to make, but the finished product tastes just like ding dong cakes. If you want a cake that is impressive and want to get raves, this one is it bar-none.
- 1 (18 ounce) box devil's food cake mix
- 3 eggs (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 (16 ounce) can milk chocolate frosting
Filling (what really makes the cake)
- 2⁄3 cup Crisco
- 1⁄3 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- Bake cake and divide into layers (I used 9x13 pan, but you can do it in rounds and even do 4-6 layers). Bake according to package directions.
- Mix Crisco, cream, sugar, vanilla and salt well; then add powder sugar and mix all well.
- Spread filling between layers and frost entire cake with milk chocolate frosting.
- (Please don’t substitute anything for the milk chocolate frosting--it tastes like candy and the other frostings don’t).