Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a wonderful little cake you can use with either fruit or ice cream. It's also great by itself. I love it because I always have the ingredients on hand for a fast dessert.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add milk, oil, egg and vanilla; beat for 1 minute. Pour into greased 9-in square baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack
- Serve with fruit or ice cream if desired.
This cake came out somewhat coarse, but had a good taste. I'll try it again to see if it comes out as coarse the next time. That is actually not very much of drawback as it was really good with strawberries and whipped cream. And it was very very quick to make. That alone makes it a keeper. Thanks, from Janet!
I followed the recipe exactly, but this cake turned out too dry and dense for me. I'm sure I didn't over-mix it, so I'm not sure what the problem was. Everyone at the party really liked it ( hence the four stars), but I think I'll use my normal cake recipe next time. Thanks!
I have been making this recipe for more years than I care to mention. Infact since I got my first Betty Crocker cookbook. It has a wonderful crumb and flavor and is the perfect size when you just want a little something.