Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is the recipe that my Mother used for both her meatloaf and meatballs prior to cooking. Very simple, quick and few ingredients needed. Freezes easily!!!! I usually double the recipe and freeze half of the amount. Good for OAMC.
- Combine onion, saltine crackers, salt, pepper, egg and milk.
- Add ground beef and mix to combine.
- At this point, you can shape into loaves, wrap in plastic wrap, place in freezer bag and freeze for later use.
- If using for meatballs, spread mixture out on plastic wrap in a flat square; put in freezer bag and freeze. I use defrost level in microwave to defrost 1 lb ground beef.
- For meatloaf, we simply pour a layer of ketchup over the loaf and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- For meatballs, shape into desired size; brown in fry pan with 1 tablespoon oil. Add meatballs to tomato/spaghetti sauce or chili sauce with grape jelly sauce.
- Variation: Feel free to add garlic powder or minced garlic and/or Parmesan cheese.
I made this as written and made 4 mini meat loaves. They were very good. I will use this to make the meatballs in the near future.
Wonderful basic recipe for meatloaf, meatballs, or patties too. I made some into hamburger patties, fried until well done in a little olive oil; drained well; placed in a single layer in a casserole dish; spread with some spaghetti sauce; sprinkled with freshly grated Parmesan cheese; baked until cheese was melted. Served with spaghetti, tossed salad and thick slices of French bread. I made another batch into Italian style meatballs, adding minced garlic and Parmesan cheese, and used my cookie scoop with a release lever to get them an even size, froze the meatballs in a single layer on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. When frozen I placed them in a freezer bag, labelled and dated, for later use.
A very good basic meatloaf recipe. For allergy reasons I had to use spring onion/scallion for the onion and used Jatz crackers for the saltines as that is what I had. I also doubled the recipe but only needed to use 1/2 cup of milk. I made it into 6 mini meatloafs and 3 muffin size ones. The mini meatloafs took 45 minutes to cook and the muffin ones 30 minutes. When making again I will definately add other flavours such as garlic and/or worcestershire sauce. Thank you diner524, made for Everyday is a Holiday.