Recipe by diner524
This is the recipe that my Mother used for both her meatloaf and meatballs prior to cooking. Very simple, quick and few ingredients needed. Freezes easily!!!! I usually double the recipe and freeze half of the amount. Good for OAMC.
- 1 onion, minced
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup saltine crackers, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 lb ground beef
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine onion, saltine crackers, salt, pepper, egg and milk.
- Add ground beef and mix to combine.
- At this point, you can shape into loaves, wrap in plastic wrap, place in freezer bag and freeze for later use.
- If using for meatballs, spread mixture out on plastic wrap in a flat square; put in freezer bag and freeze. I use defrost level in microwave to defrost 1 lb ground beef.
- For meatloaf, we simply pour a layer of ketchup over the loaf and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- For meatballs, shape into desired size; brown in fry pan with 1 tablespoon oil. Add meatballs to tomato/spaghetti sauce or chili sauce with grape jelly sauce.
- Variation: Feel free to add garlic powder or minced garlic and/or Parmesan cheese.