4 hrs 10 mins
3 hrs 30 mins
Georgia Girl's Note:
Dinah Shore was a Southern Belle from Nashville, Tennessee so you know that her Mama's chicken salad is bound to be a high cholesterol item!! But we just don't worry about that in the South, honey!! When you make yor biscuits with lard, a little extra cream ain't nuthin' to fret about!! I don't know whether my Mama got this from a magazine or one of Miss Dinah's cookbooks, but it "shore" is yummy.My Mama ammended the ingredients somewhat to make it more to her taste. I have included the cooking and chopping times in the prep time, but you can be chopping the veg's while the eggs and the chicken are boiling so it really doesn't take that long to prep. The longest "time" is for the chicken to marinate, but believe me this is worth any amount of time!!!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 cup French dressing
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon grated onion
- 2 chopped hard-boiled eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup unsweetened heavy cream, whipped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1Marinate the cooked,cubed chicken breasts in the French dressing in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 hours, then drain and discard the French dressing.
- 2Combine the cubed chicken, celery, bell peppers, grated onion, chopped boiled eggs, salt and pepper in a large salad serving bowl.
- 3Stir gently, but mix well.
- 4In another bowl combine the mayonnaise, whipped cream, pecans, Tabasco sauce, Worcestershire sauce and drained capers, mixing well.
- 5Add the dressing to the salad and stir gently to mix well.
- 6Serve as soon as thoroughly chilled--usually about 20 min.
- 7If you want to make this ahead of time, don't add the dressing as the whipped cream will tend to go flat.
- 8Mix the dressing up and add just before serving.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dinah Shore's Mother's Southern Belle Chicken Salad
Serving Size: 1 (220 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 436.4
- Calories from Fat 273
- Total Fat 30.3 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 138.8 mg
- Sodium 977.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 30.2 g