Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
Dinah Shore was a Southern Belle from Nashville, Tennessee so you know that her Mama's chicken salad is bound to be a high cholesterol item!! But we just don't worry about that in the South, honey!! When you make yor biscuits with lard, a little extra cream ain't nuthin' to fret about!! I don't know whether my Mama got this from a magazine or one of Miss Dinah's cookbooks, but it "shore" is yummy.My Mama ammended the ingredients somewhat to make it more to her taste. I have included the cooking and chopping times in the prep time, but you can be chopping the veg's while the eggs and the chicken are boiling so it really doesn't take that long to prep. The longest "time" is for the chicken to marinate, but believe me this is worth any amount of time!!!!
- 8 cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 cup French dressing
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon grated onion
- 2 chopped hard-boiled eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened heavy cream, whipped
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons capers, drained
- Marinate the cooked,cubed chicken breasts in the French dressing in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 hours, then drain and discard the French dressing.
- Combine the cubed chicken, celery, bell peppers, grated onion, chopped boiled eggs, salt and pepper in a large salad serving bowl.
- Stir gently, but mix well.
- In another bowl combine the mayonnaise, whipped cream, pecans, Tabasco sauce, Worcestershire sauce and drained capers, mixing well.
- Add the dressing to the salad and stir gently to mix well.
- Serve as soon as thoroughly chilled--usually about 20 min.
- If you want to make this ahead of time, don't add the dressing as the whipped cream will tend to go flat.
- Mix the dressing up and add just before serving.