Recipe by Dimpi
Dal is one of the most common lentil dishes from India. There are countless variations and I make several kinds. This is my most simple, go-to recipe.
Top Review by viji23649
Is this your mom's recipe ? I kinda guessed it . Anyway , it is simple ,highly proteinous,fast cooking.thanks to your mom. Publish many more varieties of indian cuisine please.
- 1 cup toor dal
- 1⁄2 cup red lentil (masoor)
- 3 cups water
- 1 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 serrano pepper, slit
- 2 dried red chilies, broken into half
- 3 -4 curry leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse the lentils several times, then combine the first 6 ingredients (through turmeric) and pressure cook until soft.
- In a saucepan, heat oil. Add mustard seeds. When mustard crackles, add cumin seeds and red chillies. Stir for a few seconds.
- Now add serrano pepper (deseed if you don't want heat), curry leaves and garlic. Stir until garlic is barely colored.
- Now add the cooked lentil mixture, water if needed and bring to a boil.
- When dal is boiling, add cumin and salt to taste. Lower heat, cover and simmer for a few minutes.
- Take off heat, add cilantro and mix well.
- Serve hot with rice or chapati.