Recipe by Puffnstuff
I always order this when eating Dim Sum. I finally got a good recipe for this off about.com, which re-posted Evelyn Chau's recipe from her book "Have Some Dim Sum". My recipe is modified to suit me. The first time I made this I didn't have orange rinds and so something was off but this time I had an orange on hand and used a cheese grater to grate off some orange skin and wow that's the secret ingredient.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange peel
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chicken bouillon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro (optional)
- 1 tablespoon peas (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- This is a very crucial ingredient and can't be omitted/substituted. With a cheese grater, grate an orange peel. Mine is a cheap dollar store one and it's easier grating the skin while still attached to the whole orange. About 1/2 teaspoons I'll go up to 1 tsp at times.
- Add baking soda to beef.
- Add the beaten egg to the mixture. An alternative to the egg is pick up beef in hand and form into a large ball. Then throw the beef with some force into a large bowl. Repeat 10 - 15 times. The egg or throwing makes the beef less crumbly when cooked. I use the egg trick.
- Dissolve cornstarch in cold water. Stir well and add to beef.
- Add minced citrus peel, oil, white pepper, salt, chicken bouillion, sugar, sesame oil and egg, oyster sauce, cilantro, peas to beef. Mix well for about 10 min or till it's well mixed and pasty.
- Cover and Let marinate for 4 hours or more in the fridge.
- Form beef balls of about 2 tablespoons of beef with your spoon.
- Place beef balls on a medium plate, or whatever size plate fits in your steamer. If you're using small dishes, the beef can be steamed in batches.
- Steam on high heat for 8 minutes after water has come to a boil.
- Serve with a soy/maggi sauce mixture.