Recipe by Foxfire13
This is Ellie Kuehn's recipe direct from Lake Eden, Minnesota!
Top Review by Chocolatl
These are wonderful, easy pickled onion rings. They go very well with the tomatoes. I also tried them with sliced avocado--again, they were excellent. Thanks for posting. Note: Ellie Kuehn is a character in Joanna Fluke's mystery novels.
- 1 large onion (either a mild or sweet onion...a red onion is nice as it is more colorful)
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh baby dill (it's not as good with dried dill weed)
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, as an accompaniment
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the onions in thin slices. Seperate the slices into rings and put them in a bowl.
- Combine the sugar, salt, dill, white vinegar, and water.
- Pour the liquid over the onion rings.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 5 hours, stirring every hour or so.
- Serving suggestions: Slice large ripe tomatoes and arrange on a platter. Lift the onion rings out of the brine and sprinkle them on top of the tomato slices. Garnish with fresh, chopped parsley leaves if desired.
- You can use these onion rings to garnish cooked carrots, cooked green beans, even mashed potatoes. They're also a wonderful garnish for a mixed green salad.
- Covered tightly and stirred a couple of times a day, these marinated onion rings should last for at least a week in the refrigerator.