Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 2 lbs green beans (tender, should be the "stringless" type.)
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups white distilled vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pickling salt
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 small onions (Onions should be peeled and thinly sliced.)
- 8 red hot peppers
- 8 cloves garlic, Peeled
- 8 sprigs fresh dill
- Wash beans and snip off ends.
- Discard any that are wilted or discolored.
- In a saucepan combine water, vinegar, pickling salt, sugar, bay leaves, and onions.
- Bring liquid to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Drop beans into boiling water and cook for just 5 minutes.
- They must still be crisp.
- Drain immediately and rinse in cold water.
- Pack beans upright in 8-ounce jars with a couple of slices of onion.
- Add 1 hot pepper, 1 clove garlic, and a sprig of dill to each jar and pour hot vinegar mixture over the beans to overflowing.
- Seal immediately.
- Thinly cut carrots or other firm vegetables may be used in place of or in addition to the beans.