Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is another canning recipe from my sisiter's mother-in-law, known as the Martha Stewart of the Okanagan!
- 4 lbs cucumbers (3 - 4 inches long)
- 6 tablespoons pickling salt
- 3 cups white vinegar
- fresh dill
- Scrub cucumbers, rinse well & cut in half.
- Combine pickling salt & vinegar in a heavy pot & bring to a boil.
- Pack cucumbers in hot sterilized mason jars.
- Add 2 garlic cloves, a head of dill to each & cover with boiling liquid.
- I use a chopstick to remove any air bubbles before sealing the jars.
- Place jars into a canning kettle & cover with hot (not boiling) water.
- Bring to a boil & boil for 10 minutes (no longer).
- Remove jars from water& turn upside down& allow to cool.
- Store in a cool, dark place.
- It's best to wait a month before opening!
Sorry, but these were undoubtedly the sourest things I've ever tasted. Even the grandkids couldn't take em.
I found the amounts of vinegar and salt to be quite low. I needed 6 cups vinegar and 12 T salt to make 6 pints.
" I put alot of garlic in them and they are wonderful. The only thing is I'm going to use just a little less Salt next time. But. I just opened one of the jars yesterday and I can't stay out of them. Starting another batch!