Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a really easy and delicious slaw that is perfect in the hot, summer weather. Both tart and subtly sweet, with a great flavour kick added by the dill and celery seed - a perfect side at bbqs, accompanying your favourite grilled goodies. ----------------- This recipe is a current entry in the RSC #14 Contest. In order to preserve fairness in the contest we ask that all reviews be held & then posted during the Review Weekend: 8/21-8/23. If you would like to be reminded to post your reviews during the correct weekend, please sign up for a zmail reminder at: http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=307088 Photos of recipes should NOT be submitted for any contest recipe until the contest is over and the winners have been named. Thank you for participating in the contest!
- 1 head napa cabbage, cut into fine julienne (approx 1 lb, cleaned weight)
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, grated
- 2⁄3 cup green onion, both white and green, very thinly sliced
- 2⁄3 cup creme fraiche
- 3 tablespoons apple cider or 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons very finely minced fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 3⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Put cabbage, carrot and green onion in a large bowl.
- For dressing. Whisk together all dressing ingredients. Pour over cabbage mixture and toss well to coat. Taste, and adjust salt, if you feel more is necessary.
- Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight to marry flavours. Toss again before serving to redistribute dressing.
- Note: By 'cleaned weight' for the Napa Cabbage, I mean the weight once the stalk and outer leaves have been removed. I started off with a Napa Cabbage that weighed approximately 1 1/2 lbs.
Nice one, and different, using creme fraiche rather than mayo.
I was pleasantly surprised with this salad. The dressing was not too sweet and I enjoyed the creme fraiche in it. Overall, I was very pleased. Thanks!
VERY tasty! I was surprised that it held it's crunch to the next day. Quick to make. We enjoyed the sweet/tart dressing - creative use of contest ingredients! Made for RSC #14. Good luck in the contest!