Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
A new recipe from Penzeys Spices. Says its a great way to get kids to eat veggies by hiding the carrots in this super easy casserole.
- 4 large potatoes, peeled
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 1 onion, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pats
- 1 teaspoon dill (may sub 2 t fresh dill)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cream (may sub whole milk)
- Preheat oven to 350° (usually this dish is getting baked alongside a roast or chicken, and it will be fine at 325° or 375°, too).
- Shred the carrots and potatoes in a food processor; squeeze the potatoes and discard the extra liquid.
- Toss the potatoes, carrots, onion, dill, salt and pepper together and place it in the bottom of a greased/buttered, small baking dish.
- Dot the top of the veggies with the butter pats, pushing some butter bits down into the potatoes.
- Drizzle the cream/milk over the top, and bake one hour.
- NOTE: Cover with foil if the dish starts to get overly brown.
I was a bit anxious at first whether this would turn out or not due to the other reviewer's problems, but I neednt have worried. It turned out fabulous! I luved the combination of dill with the potatoes and carrots! It came together fairly quickly and easily and tasted really good! It was moist with a browned top and spots of cream (I used sour cream). Next time Ill serve this with a fried egg on top I think. Thanks so much for sharing this winner of a recipe with us, JanuaryBride! Made and reviewed for Veg'n Swap #8 March 2009.
I was looking forward to this but I was a bit disappointed. I still like the idea but think it needs to be tweeked a bit. The dill disappeared and was undetectable and my cream just sat on top. Also, I didn't think the potato was totally cooked but that would have been because I used too small a dish. Next time I plan to a) use a large dish to create a flatter product, b) double the dill and use milk, and c) chop the onion and fry-off first. All-in-all not a bad recipe. User error contributed to this not being what I expected. Will make again. Made for Aussie Make My Recipe #5.