Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
A Justin Wilson recipe. You gon' like dis one I gaurantee! Put here for safekeeping! **Edited after PaulaG's review to add cheese AFTER rice has cooked instead of mixing it in with uncooked rice**
- 473.18 ml uncooked long grain rice
- 14.79 ml onion powder
- 2.46 ml dill weed
- 9.85 ml salt
- 44.37 ml olive oil
- 118.29 ml grated cheese
- 4.92 ml garlic powder
- 1.23 ml celery seed
- 2.46 ml cayenne pepper
- In medium size pot, combine all ingredients except the oil and cheese.
- Add enough water to cover the rice and come up the the first joint of your middle finger, then pour on the oil to keep it from bubbling over while cooking.
- Bring water to boil until you see craters form in the rice.
- Reduce heat to low and cover, 30 to 45 minutes until rice is done. Add cheese and stir.
Lots of flavor! I sauteed 1 cup diced onion instead of using onion powder, doubled the garlic & dill to this and then added 2 Tbs Parmesan & 2 Tbs cream cheese along with the 1/2 C grated cheddar at the end. I used jasmine rice (which cooked much faster) because that's what I had on hand and it turned out wonderfully. I omitted the salt because the cheeses I used had more than enough. We will definitely be adding this one to the regular rotation.
How wonderful! I only used 1 1/2 cups rice, and wanted to make it without oil, so I brought 4 cups of water to a boil in my pan, then added all the seasonings and the rice. I did sub black pepper for the cayenne so the kiddos would eat it. I cooked it, covered over low heat for 20 minutes, then stirred in about 3 tablespoons each of fat free parmesan and sharp cheddar cheese. I could have easily eaten every grain without sharing with my family! This rice was so perfectly seasoned and so delicous! A real winner! Thanks for posting!
We abslolutely love this rice...goes great with any grilled meat. Versatile, flavorful and absolutely delicious!