Recipe by Mimi in Maine
This is a very good bread with most anything, especially a soup in the cold winter. My granddaughter loves this...me too. It makes great toast.
- 2 -2 2⁄3 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 -3 teaspoons instant minced onion
- 2 teaspoons dill
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry yeast
- 1 cup cream-style cottage cheese (I use Hood Country Style)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon soft butter
- 1 egg
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl combine 1 cup flour, sugar, onion, dill, salt, baking soda, and yeast; blend well.
- In a saucepan heat the cottage cheese, water, and butter until quite warm (about 120 degrees); add this to flour mixture; mix well.
- Add the egg and blend at low speed until moistened; then beat 3 minutes at medium speed.
- Stir in remaining flour, a little at a time, only enough to form a stiff batter.
- Cover with plastic wrap; place in a warm place; let rise till doubled in size--about 45-60 minutes.
- Stir down and place in greased casserole.
- Cover; let rise till double--about 30-45 minutes.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes.
- Immediately remove to a rack and cover with a clean dish towel for about 15 minutes.