Recipe by LUv 2 BaKE
My mom has been making this jellied salad for YEARS!! It is by far the most often requested jellied salad. Delicious for any holiday or as a cool summer salad. Sugar-free (light) Jello works well for this salad. Cooking time is the setting time.
- 1 (3 ounce) package sugar-free lemon Jell-O powder
- 1 (3 ounce) package light lime jelly powder
- 2 1⁄4 cups boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup pickle juice, strained (to remove any seeds, garlic..)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄16 teaspoon ground pepper (basically a "pinch")
- 1⁄4 cup dill pickle slices
- 1 cup low-fat mayonnaise or 1 cup whipped light salad dressing
- 3 1⁄2 cups cabbage, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, grated
- 1⁄3 cup pickle, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve lemon and lime powders into boiling water.
- Stir in pickle liquid, lemon juice, and pepper.
- Pour about 1/4 to 1/3 of the mixture into a lightly oiled 6 cup ring mold; refrigerate until almost set.
- Before refrigerating the remaining 3/4 or 2/3 jelly mixture, whisk in the mayonnaise; refrigerate until almost set.
- Remove mold from refrigerator, push pickles into jelly to make a decorative design (stand the pickle slices up or laying down); refrigerate again until set.
- Once the jelly mayonnaise mixture is almost set fold in cabbage, carrots and chopped pickles; pour this mixture over clear jelly in mold.
- Refrigerate until set about 3 to 4 hours.
- Unmold before serving.