Recipe by Toby Jermain
This recipe may sound weird, but it's really pretty good. We tried it the first time just because to DID look different, but we really liked it!
- 3 -4 lbs boneless chuck roast, trimmed of most excess fat,and cut in 2 to 3 pieces
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) jarwhole dill pickles, undrained
- 1 large onion, peeled and cut in 8 wedges
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 -2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- hamburger buns or kaiser roll, warmed or toasted
- thinly sliced red onion, and
- cold hamburger, dill pickle chips as accompaniment
Other condiments such as
- barbecue sauce
- mayonnaise, as desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Rub roast with black pepper, and place in a slow cooker.
- Add whole pickles and brine, onion wedges, garlic cloves, and Worcestershire all remaining ingredients, and stir to combine.
- Cover, and cook over low heat for 8-9 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast from slow cooker, and strain out and discard solids, reserving the liquid.
- After meat has cooled enough to handle, shred the meat, removing any excess fat.
- Return to sauce in crckpot, and heat through.
- Using a slotted spoon, fill each bun with about 1/2 cup of the meat mixture.
- Top with a slice of onion.
- Serve with pickles and other condiments as desired.
- These sandwiches really dont need much in the way of condiments, but a bite of cold dill pickle with each bite of sandwich really tastes good.