In Eastern Europe beans have many uses, this is an easy salad, can be refrigerated up to two days in advance and put together quickly for a simple light entree.
- 1 (19 ounce) can white beans, rinsed and drained (cannellini)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons very finely minced onions
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons parsley flakes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dill weed
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 medium tomatoes
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients, except tomatoes. Mix well, cover and chill several hours or up to two days.
- Refrigerate tomatoes.
- To serve, cut each tomato into six wedges, leaving the base intact. Divide bean sald evenly and pile into tomatoes.
- Serve right away.
- Preparation time does not include chilling time.