In Eastern Europe beans have many uses, this is an easy salad, can be refrigerated up to two days in advance and put together quickly for a simple light entree.
- 1 (19 ounce) can white beans, rinsed and drained (cannellini)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons very finely minced onions
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons parsley flakes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dill weed
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 medium tomatoes
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients, except tomatoes. Mix well, cover and chill several hours or up to two days.
- Refrigerate tomatoes.
- To serve, cut each tomato into six wedges, leaving the base intact. Divide bean sald evenly and pile into tomatoes.
- Serve right away.
- Preparation time does not include chilling time.
What a wonderfully fresh tasting (and healthy) dish. I replaced the dill with Italian herbs as I'm not a dill fan and skipped the water because I thought it would dilute the dressing too much.. I was delighted with my lunch. It's so pretty too, it just looks like summer. I can't wait to have this on the deck with a tall iced tea in the sun :D.
I made this with local cherry tomatoes (at last, tomato season has begun) and all fresh herbs. It quickly disappeared. I look forward to making this again and serving as suggsted as soon as large tomatoes are available.
This is so easy and tasty. Some of my tomatoes didn't look so great, so I chopped the good ones and just mixed them in with the beans. I will make this often as a quick and nutricious lunch. My 7 yo DS loved this dish. Made and reviewed for ZWT4. This will be even better when the tomatoes are fresh from the garden.