Recipe by Julie B's Hive
A real comfort food. I can't always find beef knuckle and sometimes have to use a small chuck. I've also thrown in a bag of pre-washed baby spinach and have used canned green beans with good results.
- 3 -4 lbs beef knuckle
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 large onions, sliced, separated into rings
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 3 large carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry dill weed
- 1 teaspoon savory or 1 teaspoon marjoram, leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 (1 lb) can tomatoes
- 2 quarts water
- 1 medium potato, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb green beans, cut in 1-in lengths
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves, chopped
- swiss cheese, shredded or crouton
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown beef knuckle slices in heated butter in a large 5-6 quart kettle. Stir in onions and cook until limp. Add mushrooms, carrots, celery, garlic, parsley, salt, herbs, pepper, tomatoes (broken up) with their liquid, and water. Bring to boiling. Cover. Reduce heat and simmer until meat is very tender; about 3 hours.
- Remove meat and bones with a slotted spoon. Discard bones and fat. Return meat to soup.
- Add potato to soup. Bring to a gentle boil. Cook, uncovered, until potato is tender, about 15 minutes. Add beans and cook until just tender, about 15 minutes. Add beans and cook until just tender, 10-12 minutes. Stir in spinach and cook 3 minutes. Salt to taste.
- Serve soup sprinkled with cheese or croutons. Add a nice glass of red wine if you've a mind to.