This recipe was actually a mistake and one that my family loved. We used this many years ago when we needed a relsih for hot dogs. This recipe is different than most green tomato relishes as it is not sweet. I am posting this in response to a request.
- Cut off steam end of green tomatoes.
- Coarsely chop green tomatoes, celery and bell peppers in food processor.
- Combine the water vinegar and pickling salt and bring to a boil, add the chopped vegetables and return just to a boil.
- Drain, reserving the liquid and loosely pack vegetables to 6 pint jars.
- To each jar add 1 clove of garlic and 1 teaspoon dill seed.
- Return the reserved liquid to a boil and pour over vegetables to within 1/2 inch of top of jar; remove any air bubbles with clean knife.
- Put on cap, screw band firmly tight.
- Process in a water bath canner as recommended for your altitude.
- Check lids to make sure of good seal.
- Allow relish to sit for 4 weeks before using.