Dr. Jenny's Note:
This gets rave reviews on Epicurious. Its from Bon Appetit, March 2004. According to the recipe description, start the gravlax at least two days in advance (the sauce can also be prepared ahead of time, leaving just quick assembly on the day of your party). Pairs nicely with champagne or sparkling wine. NOTE: Prep time does not include the 2-3 days refrigeration time for the gravlax. Prepare accordingly.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon whole white peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 lb salmon fillet, skin on
- 1 cup chopped fresh dill, divided
- 1For gravlax:.
- 2Heat all peppercorns and coriander seeds in small skillet over medium-high heat until spices are fragrant and seeds jump slightly, shaking skillet frequently, about 2 minutes. Crush spices in mortar with pestle or transfer to work surface, cover with kitchen towel (not terry cloth), and crush with mallet or bottom of heavy pan. Transfer spices to small bowl. Mix in salt and sugar.
- 3Using small sharp knife, poke 12 small holes through skin of salmon. Rub 1/3 of spice mixture over skin. Sprinkle 1/3 cup chopped dill in bottom of 7x7x2-inch or 8x8x2-inch glass baking dish. Place salmon, skin side down, atop dill. Rub remaining spice mixture into top of salmon. Press 2/3 cup chopped dill onto salmon. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing directly onto fish. Place plate or another pan atop plastic. Place heavy cans on plate. Refrigerate 2 to 3 days.
- 4For sauce:.
- 5Whisk mustard and vinegar in small bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in oil. Stir in chopped dill and salt. Season with ground black pepper. (Sauce can be made 3 days ahead. Cover and chill.).
- 6Scrape spices and dill off both sides of salmon (some spice mixture will remain). Using knife with long thin blade, thinly slice salmon diagonally at 45-degree angle from top of fillet toward skin.
- 7Arrange toasts on platter; top with salmon slices, sauce, and dill sprigs.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dilled Gravlax With Mustard Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (158 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 261.2
- Calories from Fat 144
- Total Fat 16.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 52.3 mg
- Sodium 3788.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 23.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: