Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
It's hard to find store bought tartar sauce that doesn't taste icky sweet to me. A friend and I experimented until we came up with this. Now this is my favorite. Plan ahead because if let set at least a couple hours in the fridge before serving the flavor really matures.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon dill pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon onion, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 -2 teaspoon dill (adjust for your tastes)
- In a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise, relish and minced onion.
- Stir in lemon juice and dill.
- If desired, season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
Replace 1/2 cup of mayo with yogurt and one spoon of sour cream will make it chef worth. Shhhh do not tell anyone that I told you this.... my life will be in danger :)
What a great find! I cannot stand sweet relish, and the dill pickle & fresh dill really made this nice. Excellent!
We also prefer a less sweet tartar sauce, so I was pleased to find this recipe! The flavors really complement fish. Thanks for posting!