1/2 Photos of Dill Pickles by the Jar
Jenny Sanders's Note:
This was the first recipe for dill pickles I ever made, and it's still a favourite. I like the technique it uses of making the pickles right in the canning jars, rather than in a crock. I've since adapted the method to any fermented pickles that I make. This makes one quart of pickles; you simply multiply the brine for the number of quarts of cucumbers that you have. I also use this brine to make pickled mixed green beans, wax beans and carrots cut in pieces the same general size and shape as the beans.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Using a soft vegetable brush, thoroughly scrub the cucumbers in cool running water. Cut 1/16 inch off the blossom end. Discard any cucumbers that are bruised or damaged.
- 2Put however many quart canning jars that you need into a canner and cover them with water; bring to a boil and boil for 10 minutes.
- 3Make the brine with the water, vinegar and salt; put them in a pot and heat until the salt is dissolved.
- 4Put a couple good heads of dill seed into each sterilized jar.
- 5Seed heads should be well-formed but still green.
- 6Add a clove of garlic and/or a hot pepper if desired.
- 7Pack the jar with the cucumbers.
- 8I find it easiest to start with the jar on its side, laying some of the larger cucumbers along the bottom then keep stacking on top of them. Use the end of a large wooden spoon to gently push more cukes in once it gets snug in there. Then repeat with a second row of stacked cukes, picking ones that will fit in without sticking too far up in the jar. There may then be room to lay a couple on top.
- 9Pour the hot brine over them, and cap at once with a sterilized lid.
- 10Do not hot water process.
- 11Store jars on newspaper in case they overflow while fermenting.
- 12Can be opened in 6 weeks but much better after 6 months!
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dill Pickles by the Jar
Serving Size: 1 (30 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2.9
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 349.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 0.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: