Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Warning these are addictive!!
- 6 lbs fresh asparagus
- 3 large garlic cloves, halved
- 6 teaspoons dill seeds
- 6 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 36 peppercorns
- 2 quarts water
- 2 1⁄2 cups white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons canning salt
- Wash, drain and trim asparagus; cut into 4-1/2-in. spears. Discard ends or save.
- for another use. Place asparagus in a large container; cover with ice water.
- In each of six 1-pint jars, place half of a garlic clove, 1 teaspoon dill seed,.
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed and six peppercorns.
- In a Dutch oven, bring the water, vinegar, sugar and salt to a boil. Drain asparagus; pack in jars to within 1/2 inches of top. Ladle boiling liquid over asparagus, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Adjust caps. Process for 20 minutes in a boiling-water bath. Remove jars to wire racks to cool completely.