1/1 Photo of Dill Pickle Soup
1 hr 5 mins
1 hr 5 mins
From: Cheryl Brooks Unusual Soups
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb sour dill pickle, including the juice
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups stock (see below)
- 1/2 cup carrot, diced
- 2 cups lean pork, cooked, shredded
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill or 1 tablespoon dried dill, chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- lemon juice
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1Drain the pickles, reserving the juice, and slice them thinly.
- 2Melt 2 T of the butter in a frying pan and add the pickle slices, sauteeing them over medium heat for 3 min.
- 3Push the pickles t one side, add the remaining T of butter and the onions and garlic. Cook until soft and slightly browned.
- 4Incorporate the pickles and cook together for 1 min.
- 5Ad 1 cup stock and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned particles.
- 6Transfer this mixture to a medium soup pot, add the rest of the stock, the reserved pickle juice, and the carrots.
- 7Simmer uncovered for 15 min.
- 8Add the shredded port and cook 15 min more. Knead together the softened butter, flour, and dill into a ball and add it to the simmering soup, stirring to blend.
- 9Cook 2 min until the soup thickens.
- 10Remove from the heat and stir in the heavy cream.
- 11Taste and adjust seasoning, remembering that salt tends to accentuate the sour taste. If soup is not tart enough, add lemon juice to taste. Serve hot, with dollops of sour cream.
- 12Stock: this can be a well-flavored chicken or veal, or a brown stock.
- 13The author notes that using all beef stock makes the soup a bit too strong, and usually substitute half of the brown stock for chicken or veal.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dill Pickle Soup
Serving Size: 1 (1245 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1675.1
- Calories from Fat 1421
- Total Fat 157.8 g
- Saturated Fat 96.2 g
- Cholesterol 506.7 mg
- Sodium 6014.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.5 g
- Sugars 23.0 g
- Protein 15.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: