2 hrs 30 mins
James Craig's Note:
This recipe was printed in Sunset Magazine. Cooking time includes cooling and refrigeration.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 slices rye bread
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped mushrooms, drained
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons celery salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 -3 medium dill pickles
- 1Tear the bread into bite-size pieces.
- 2In a large bowl, combine bread, eggs, and milk: let stand 10 minutes or until bread becomes soggy.
- 3Add the mushrooms, onion, horseradish, thyme, caraway seed, celery salt, mustard, pepper, and beef.
- 4Mix with a wooden spoon or with your hands until well blended.
- 5Pat 1/2 of the meat mixture into a 5X9 inch loaf pan.
- 6Slice pickles lengthwise and arrange on the meat.
- 7Add the remaining meat mixture and pat firmly into a smooth layer.
- 8Bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- 9Cool in the pan for 20 minutes, then invert on a platter; cover and chill.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dill Pickle-Layered Meatloaf
Serving Size: 1 (214 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 291.3
- Calories from Fat 129
- Total Fat 14.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 130.8 mg
- Sodium 438.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 27.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: