Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This recipe was printed in Sunset Magazine. Cooking time includes cooling and refrigeration.
- 4 slices rye bread
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped mushrooms, drained
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons celery salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 -3 medium dill pickles
- Tear the bread into bite-size pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine bread, eggs, and milk: let stand 10 minutes or until bread becomes soggy.
- Add the mushrooms, onion, horseradish, thyme, caraway seed, celery salt, mustard, pepper, and beef.
- Mix with a wooden spoon or with your hands until well blended.
- Pat 1/2 of the meat mixture into a 5X9 inch loaf pan.
- Slice pickles lengthwise and arrange on the meat.
- Add the remaining meat mixture and pat firmly into a smooth layer.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Cool in the pan for 20 minutes, then invert on a platter; cover and chill.
This is one of my favorite meatloafs.The dill pickle give it it such a wonderful taste.My whole family loves it. I like to serve a different meatloaf once in a while. Great with potatoes.