Recipe by James Craig
This recipe was printed in Sunset Magazine. Cooking time includes cooling and refrigeration.
Top Review by renatekheim
This is one of my favorite meatloafs.The dill pickle give it it such a wonderful taste.My whole family loves it. I like to serve a different meatloaf once in a while. Great with potatoes.
- 4 slices rye bread
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped mushrooms, drained
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons celery salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 -3 medium dill pickles
Directions See How It's Made
- Tear the bread into bite-size pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine bread, eggs, and milk: let stand 10 minutes or until bread becomes soggy.
- Add the mushrooms, onion, horseradish, thyme, caraway seed, celery salt, mustard, pepper, and beef.
- Mix with a wooden spoon or with your hands until well blended.
- Pat 1/2 of the meat mixture into a 5X9 inch loaf pan.
- Slice pickles lengthwise and arrange on the meat.
- Add the remaining meat mixture and pat firmly into a smooth layer.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Cool in the pan for 20 minutes, then invert on a platter; cover and chill.